Step by Step Instructions
Account setup policies
Social media accounts for any Texas State entity must have at least one faculty or staff administrator. Institution-issued email accounts must be used for account setup, not personal email accounts.
Accounts must be marked as "official" in some way, where appropriate (for example, in a Twitter bio or in Facebook's About section).
Accounts must provide contact information or link to a relevant txstate.edu page.
Accounts should follow the university's brand and visual guidelines.
Setting Up An Account
Pages are for businesses, brands, organizations and public figures to share their stories and connect with people. Like profiles, Pages can be customized with stories, events and more. People who like or follow a Page can get updates in their News Feed.
1. Go to Facebook's "Create" hub.
- select "Business or Brand"
2. In the "Category" field, start typing "university" and select the "College & University" option when it appears.
3. Click Get Started and follow the on-screen instructions.
4. Once your page is created, complete the following steps under "Welcome to Your New Page":
- Add a short description
5. Add contact info by clicking the "..." button next to the "Share" button under you cover photo.
- Click "Edit Page Info" to add a website link, email, address, location, hours, etc.
- Go to https://twitter.com/signup.
- Enter your full name, phone number, and a password.
- Click Sign up for Twitter.
- In order to verify your phone number, Twitter will send you an SMS text message with a code. Enter the verification code in the box provided. Learn more about having a phone number associated with your account.
- Once you've clicked Sign up for Twitter, you can select a username (usernames are unique identifiers on Twitter). Twitter will tell you if the username you want is available.
- Double-check your name, phone number, password and username.
- Click Create my account.
From the app
- Download the Instagram app for iOS from the App Store, Android from Google Play Store or Windows Phone from the Windows Phone Store.
- Once the app is installed, tap the Instagram logo to open it.
- Tap Sign Up With Email or Phone Number, then enter your email address or phone number (which will require a confirmation code) and tap Next.
- Create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Done.
From a computer
- Go to instagram.com.
- Enter your email address and create a username and password.
- Click Sign up.