Step by Step Instructions
Account setup policies
Not every social media platform is required or necessary for every unit on campus. Assess your need, your audience, the goal of your channel, and if you have the team to continue to produce content across multiple channels. For example, not all units would do well on a TikTok account while some do have the bandwidth and content creators to produce videos. Never feel pressured to create something because you see other units doing it.
NOTE: Specific events at the university do not need unique accounts, but instead can use a unique branded hashtag to connect the content. An example of this is using "#txstgrad" for graduation instead of having a general account related to it.
Social media accounts for any Texas State entity must have at least one faculty or staff administrator. Institution-issued email accounts must be used for account setup, not personal email accounts. To see more policies regarding passwords and social media account setup, please refer to UPPS 06.05.05
Accounts must be marked as "official" in some way, where appropriate (for example, in a Twitter bio or in Facebook's About section).
Accounts must provide contact information or link to a relevant txstate.edu page.
Accounts should follow the university's brand and visual guidelines.
Please do not create a new account until you've registered and been approved.
Setting Up An Account
Pages are for businesses, brands, organizations, and public figures to share their stories and connect with people. Like profiles, Pages can be customized with stories, events, and more. People who like or follow a Page can get updates in their News Feed.
1. Go to Facebook's "Create" hub.
- select "Business or Brand"
2. In the "Category" field, start typing "university" and select the "College & University" option when it appears.
3. Click Get Started and follow the on-screen instructions.
4. Once your page is created, complete the following steps under "Welcome to Your New Page":
- Add a short description
5. Add contact info by clicking the "..." button next to the "Share" button under you cover photo.
- Click "Edit Page Info" to add a website link, email, address, location, hours, etc.
- Go to https://twitter.com/signup.
- Enter your full name, phone number, and a password.
- Click Sign up for Twitter.
- In order to verify your phone number, Twitter will send you an SMS text message with a code. Enter the verification code in the box provided. Learn more about having a phone number associated with your account.
- Once you've clicked Sign up for Twitter, you can select a username (usernames are unique identifiers on Twitter). Twitter will tell you if the username you want is available.
- Double-check your name, phone number, password, and username.
- Click Create my account.
NOTE: The email address used to register for a Twitter account must be a shared txstate.edu email account!
From the app
- Download the Instagram app for iOS from the App Store, Android from Google Play Store or Windows Phone from the Windows Phone Store.
- Once the app is installed, tap the Instagram logo to open it.
- Tap Sign Up With Email or Phone Number, then enter your email address or phone number (which will require a confirmation code) and tap Next.
- Create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Done.
From a computer
- Go to instagram.com.
- Enter your email address and create a username and password.
- Click Sign up.
NOTE: The email address used to register for an Instagram account must be a shared txstate.edu email account!
From a Computer
- Go to TikTok.com
- Select use a phone or email, or go to their sign-up page
- Use a shared txstate.edu email to create the account.
- Put the information for your birthday, email, and desired password. Verify with code via email
From the App
- Open the TikTok app on your iPhone or Android.
- Tap "Create account."
- Tap "Use phone or email."
- Enter your birthdate.
- Tap "Email" at the top. (Use a shared txstate.edu email to create the account.)
- Enter your email address, then tap "Next."
- Enter a password for your TikTok account then tap "Next."
- Enter a username for your TikTok account then tap "Sign up" to make your new account.